ARK's Y Tip Bite Blocks
Available, delivery time: 1-3 days
ARK's Y Tips are a great complement to any oral motor tool bag.
Similar to the shape of the Y-Chew but fashioned into tip attachments for the Z-Vibe®, these tips are specially designed for jaw grading, jaw stability, lip closure, and sensory input. Each arm has a different thickness.
- The orange tip's arms are 0,3cm and 0,5cm thick.
- The magenta tip's arms are 0,8cm and 1cm thick.
- The teal tip's arms are 1,3cm and 1,5cm thick.
Each "arm" measures about 2,5cm long and 1cm wide.
These Y tips are firm but not 100% rigid for good resistance during jaw grading practice, and each tip has gentle sensory bumps to grip the teeth. For softer options to work on chewing skills, see the Bite-n-Chew Tip.
- medical grade, FDA compliant
No BPA, PVC, lead, phthalates, or latex
- To be used with any Z-Vibe® or Z-Grabber® (sold separately)
- Each tip is sold individually
Caution: this therapeutic tool should be used under adult supervision at all times.
FOR JAW GRADING AND STABILITY:
- BITE AND HOLD: Place the block in between the pre-molars on one side of the mouth. Instruct the individual to bite and hold for 5-10 seconds. Repeat on the other side of the mouth. Then repeat twice more on each side (3 total sets).
- TUG AND PULL: Place the block in between the pre-molars on one side of the mouth. Instruct the individual to bite down and sustain the bite for 5-10 seconds while you gently pull on the block for resistance. Repeat on the other side of the mouth. Then repeat twice more on each side (3 total sets).
- BITE AND OPEN/CLOSE: Place one of the thinner blocks (#1, #2, or #3) in between the pre-molars on one side of the mouth. Instruct the individual to bite down on the block. Then have the individual open and close the jaw 5-10 times looking for good jaw alignment and rhythmic movement. Repeat on the other side of the mouth. Then repeat twice more on each side (3 total sets).
Which bite block thickness you use will depend on the individual's age and range of ability. With individuals who have low tone and a low jaw position for example, you’ll start with the thicker blocks and work towards the thinner ones. With younger kids, the thickest ones may be too large for them so you’ll start with #4 or #3. The goal is to work towards being able to use the thinnest (#1) bite block, as this requires the most refined movement and control of the jaw.
FOR LIP CLOSURE:
- LIP AWARENESS: Gently press the center of the Y on the lips and hold for 3-5 seconds to provide sensory input to the full surface of the upper lip and help "wake up" the lips. Repeat on the lower lip.
- LIP STRETCHES (works best with magenta Y tip): Place the center of the Y just above the upper lip. Gently stretch the upper lip downwards until it makes contact with the lower lip. Then place the center of the Y just below the lower lip. Gently stretch the lower lip upwards until it makes contact with the upper lip.
- LIP SQUEEZES (works best with #1, #2, or #3 blocks): Place the tip of the block in between the individual’s lips, just inside the lips. Instruct the individual to squeeze their lips on the tip for 5-10 seconds. Move the tip towards the corner of the lips in small increments. Have the individual squeeze their lips around the tip at each interval for 5-10 seconds. Start with #3 and work your way towards using the #2 and #1 blocks for increasing difficulty.
0 of 0 reviews
Designed, manufactured, and assembled in the USA by ARK Therapeutic. Medical grade, FDA compliant, NO lead, phthalates, PVC, BPA, or latex.
often bought products